It’s 2:00 am…and I’m listening to Nu Disco!
A short post, hopefully to find you in the morning and help brighten your day!
I’ve become fond of ‘nu disco‘ this week. I think I’ve always been fond of the genre, I’ve just had bad luck with it…rapidfire explanation in 3…2…1…
- I first noticed the genre on Beatport while looking for remixes of an indie song
- I listened to the ‘Top Ten’ Nu Disco tracks at the time…they were all…boring
- I associated the term ‘Nu Disco’ with, essentially, ‘Daft Punk Wannabe’
- I began hearing awesome tracks in the genre-less space* and gave them the self-made title ‘Neo New Wave’
- While bored, months later, I checked out a collection of nu disco tracks…they ALL sounded like my ‘neo new wave’ songs…some were even better!
- I returned to the genre on Beatport…and either producers are better, or I had picked a bad week, because they RAWK!
I put recently reviewed Aussie darlings Miami Horror
in a strange subset of nu disco after hearing more of it, except they perform it live with instruments…which gives them super-kudos in my books.
I especially enjoy tracks (like the one below) that trick you: it’s rap…and then it’s a cool disco sound with a modern produced twist:
Surprising music, whether it’s a simple beat switch or an unexpected chord change, is awesome. I especially like music that draws from supernatural themes…doing so with a disco feel is hyper bonus:
One last track…play it loud to get yer groove on!
So there you go! An unexpected genre is kicking my ass with fun-ness! Have you discovered any new genres recently? They’re being invented about as often as a song is mashed with another.
Here’s a fun challenge…could someone find me an ‘Alt-Dub-Disco’ track?! Does that exist?!? Anyone who comes close gets…a prize…of some sort!!
Tags: Break The Rules, DCUP, Denzal Park, Filter Freak, genre, Killaqueenz, Little Jinder, miami horror, nu disco, Youth Blood